A message from North Shore Gas President and CEO Charles Matthews
As conditions surrounding the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continue to change, we understand that you’re depending on us to provide the natural gas needed to heat your home, cook dinner, do laundry or take a warm shower.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security identifies us as “essential critical infrastructure workers.” The other businesses and organizations considered essential need us too: hospitals, doctors’ offices, pharmacies, grocery stores, social service agencies, and police and fire stations, among others.
Gov. Pritzker’s statewide stay-at-home order that took effect over the weekend directs us to continue to provide our critical service, so we’ve taken steps to ensure you have the safe and reliable natural gas you need during these unsettling times.
- Safety comes first – Our natural gas workers and other critical team members will continue to deliver the service you expect while following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s guidelines for safety:
- We are utilizing technology to enable many of our employees to work from home — limiting exposure to peers while continuing to serve our customers.
- We are temporarily rescheduling inside safety inspection appointments to minimize contact with customers. We continue to perform essential services, such as turn-ons, meter work and responding to reports of natural gas odors.
- You may see our employees in your neighborhood performing work to improve our natural gas delivery system. For everyone’s safety, please refrain from approaching us while we perform this work and practice social distancing.
- Disconnections suspended – We understand some of our customers will face financial hardships due to the spread of COVID-19. We have suspended disconnections for all customers, except in the case of natural gas leaks or unsafe conditions. This is effective until this health crisis is behind us. We are also waiving late payment charges.
- Bill payment arrangement options and financial assistance –If you are having trouble paying your bill, call us at 866-556-6004 to discuss a payment plan or learn about financial assistance. We are committed to working with all of our customers, and have payment plans available including for those who are impacted or otherwise experiencing a hardship due to COVID-19. You can find information about payment plans and assistance on our website.
We will continue to closely monitor the situation surrounding COVID-19. Please visit our website for updates or call us at 866-556-6004 with any questions.
On behalf of all of us at North Shore Gas, thank you for allowing us the privilege of serving you. Please stay safe.