The Matching Gifts program is designed to encourage employees and retirees of We Energies to actively support nonprofit organizations within our communities.
We Energies Foundation will match $1 for each $1 of eligible employee or retiree contributions. The minimum employee or retiree contribution to any one organization that will be matched is $50. The maximum match per fiscal year ending Dec. 1 is $20,000. Any application received after Dec. 1 will be processed in the first quarter of the following year. A completed on-line application is required for a matching gift. Applications received by mail, email or phone are not accepted. To maintain integrity of our 501(c)(3) status, we must receive a receipt in the employee’s or retiree’s name from the organization, indicating the taxable amount and value, if any, of the contribution. A copy of a check is not sufficient.
Contributions can be made in the form of cash, check, credit card or stock in a publicly traded company.
Eligibility and guidelines
We match gifts to recipient organizations with a cash payment of equal value within the provisions described below. Although gifts may be specified for particular purposes, foundation matching gifts are unrestricted.
Many active and retired employees are making charitable donations to organizations working on the frontlines of the COVID-19 health crisis. The We Energies Foundation is joining in that effort by providing COVID-19 relief funds. The foundation has allocated an additional $250,000 in matching gifts for eligible active and retired employee contributions to nonprofit organizations in our service areas that support individuals directly impacted by COVID-19. Such organizations include hospitals, first responders, medical supply and medical staff support services, and those agencies focused on other community support, such as hunger relief and domestic violence prevention.
Active and retired employees making contributions to organizations between March 15, 2020, and until the designated matching funds are depleted, are encouraged to submit a request for the match. The foundation will match personal contributions of at least $25 (less than the traditional $50 minimum), up to a maximum of $5,000, to eligible organizations recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) tax-exempt. A receipt from the organization must be submitted with the request; no cancelled checks will be allowed as proof of donation. Matched amounts would be in addition to the limits set forth in the Matching Gifts guidelines below.
Active employees of We Energies are eligible to participate. We Energies employees who retired prior to Jan. 1, 2006, but not surviving spouses, are eligible to participate indefinitely; those who retired on or after Jan. 1, 2006, may participate for only one year after their retirement date. Eligibility guidelines and contribution amounts are the same for active and retired employees.
Eligible organizations and institutions
- Nonprofit arts and cultural organizations located in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that are recognized by the IRS as 501(c)(3) tax-exempt institutions. Arts and cultural organizations are broadly defined to include: arts councils; art education; dance companies; symphonies and opera companies; theaters and theater companies; art centers; libraries; historical societies; museums of art, history and science; planetariums; public radio and television; historic preservation organizations; and zoos.
- Education (including accredited K-12 and post-secondary educational institutions in the U.S.). This includes educational funds and foundations, scholarship funds and tuition assistance programs associated with accredited educational institutions described above.
- COVID-19 related 501 (C)(3) tax-exempt organizations are eligible for an expanded We Energies Foundation Matching Gifts program. Such organizations include hospitals, first responders, medical supply and medical staff support services, and those agencies focused on other community support, such as hunger relief and domestic violence prevention.
- Personal contributions in the name of the employee (minimum of $50 and maximum annual contributions of $20,000) for arts/culture organizations within the utility service area and for educational institutions will be matched.
- Personal contributions in the name of the employee made after March 15, 2020, (minimum $25 and maximum of $5,000) to nonprofit organizations within the We Energies service area that support individuals directly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Gifts will be matched until the designated matching funds are depleted.
- Gifts of cash or marketable securities must be paid, not merely pledged. Securities must have quoted market value.
- Memberships in cultural organizations (such as public television) are eligible when they are tax deductible and function primarily as contributions. The foundation’s gift should not be used to enhance the status of the individual donor.
- Eligible employees/retirees must submit their match request and receipt within one year from the date of the gift.
- Gifts to arts and cultural organizations located and/or operating outside of Wisconsin or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
- Personal memberships or ticket purchases of any kind (except as noted under Eligible Gifts).
- Gifts or payments to for-profit or commercial organizations.
- Amounts payable or paid as subscription fees for publications.
- Benefit auction purchases, including overbids; cash spent at charity auctions.
- Contributions of services, materials and works of art.
- Dues/gifts to alumni groups unless such gifts are distributed to an affiliated educational institution in their entirety.
- Gifts fixed by a school as a condition for student enrollment, payments for tuition, books or other student fees.
- Gifts for the benefit of an individual student.
- Gifts for nonscholastic programs such as athletics, athletic scholarships, booster clubs or stadium construction.
- Gifts affording the donor special privileges or benefits such as preferred seating at events, athletic facility use or special parking privileges.
- Gifts intended as tithes or other church-related financial commitment.
- Gifts to United Way and other combined appeals.
We reserve the right to suspend, change, revoke or terminate this program at any time, and to determine eligibility of the donor and the recipient organization. No obligation is imposed upon or accepted by We Energies by reason of the Matching Gifts Program. The interpretation, application and administration shall be determined by We Energies and its decisions will be final. Intentional abuses of the program may result in future disqualification of the donor and/or the recipients.
For COVID-19, select Emergency Assistance in the Matching Gifts program dropdown when you apply.
Contact the matching gifts coordinator at 414-221-4657.